Need for Speed World
A beta test was held in Taiwan, 2009. On February 5, 2010 the first closed beta was released and there have been at least five more betas since. The release date is scheduled for July 27, 2010, however those who ordered the World Starter Pack had a head-start a week earlier. The game ultimately received lukewarm/mixed reception, with a MetaCritic average of 61/100.
The game has actually been in development for four years, prior to Carbon but intense devotion to finishing the product didn't begin until sometime late 2008.
In an interview with World producer, Scott Henshaw, he mentioned that the European and North American versions of the game will have differences from the Asian one. It was also confirmed that the game will feature the cities of Palmont and Rockport, which were featured in Need for Speed Carbon and Need for Speed Most Wanted respectively. The cops were confirmed to return as well, together with a co-op and team based cop play.
It is unknown if the game will have more cities and/or dynamic day/night cycle, but current screenshots show both daytime and nighttime. A map was recently released, showing Palmont and Rockport connected. The game will also feature a chat option and autopilot. The December 2009 NFSUnlimited.net podcast also confirmed that this installment will feature the largest selection of cars and parts in series history (so far 250 cars have been planned from Most Wanted, Carbon, ProStreet and Undercover).
World Starter Pack
Before September 8, 2010, after reaching level 10 and access to only tier 1 and certain tier 2 cars, the player would not be able to progress further in the game and would cease to earn any more experience points or cash. To continue the game, the player had to purchase the Need for Speed World Starter Pack. Without it, the player was allowed to play the game for as long as he or she wants, but he or she would cease to earn experience and cash. This initially disappointed many fans, however on September 8, 2010 World had passed 1 million registrations. To celebrate that, the game was made free-to-play and the level cap was removed.
- Developer: EA Black Box And EA Singapore
- Publisher: Electronic Arts
- Release Date : July 20, 2010 (worldwide)
- Available in : Digital Download
- Genre(S): Massively Multiplayer Online Racing Rame
System Specifications (Beta)
- Operating System: Windows XP Service Pack 3 / Windows Vista Service Pack 2 / Windows 7
- DirectX: DirectX 9.0c
- CPU: Intel Core2Duo 2.0 GHz or AMD X2 4000+ at 2.1GHz or greater
- RAM: 2 GB
- Video Card: 512 MB DirectX 9.0 compatible. At least Shader Model 2.0 support
- Sound Card: DirectX 8.1 compatible
- Hard Drive: 4 GB of space is required to install the game
- Internet: 128kbit/s Cable/DSL connection
- Optical Drive: Not required / NFS WORLD is download only and not available on PCCD / DVD
- Direct X: Version 9.0c
- Online Multiplayer: 512 Kbps connection; 2-8 Players
- Input: Keyboard, Mouse
- Optional: USB Steering Wheel / Dual Analog Gamepad
- Obtained from NFS World FAQ on Official Site: